Embark on the Global Teachers' Award and give yourself the skills, understanding and resources to be a confident global teacher and leader in your school.
Whether you have already been involved in leading global learning or know this is the path you want to follow, the Global Teachers' Award Level 1 course is a great start. The programme will give you greater skills, confidence and understanding to embed development education in your school's curriculum.
The course is endorsed by Oxfam and approved by the British Council for delivery within Connecting Classrooms through Global Learning (CCGL) continuing professional development offer. This means that there is funding available for you as a QTS teacher working in a state-funded school to complete the course.
Every Global Teachers Award training course includes a range of activities. These all support the learning outcomes which are that you, as a teacher, will:
- have increased your ability to understand and critique the knowledge base and key concepts associated with education for a just and sustainable world (global learning)
- be able to identify a range of different perspectives, and question the assumptions behind them
- have enhanced your understanding of approaches to learning which promote critical literacy
- have developed practical ideas for incorporating new insights into your personal life and work-related role
- be able to justify incorporating global learning in the curriculum and include activities to measure changes in attitudes of your pupils in relation to certain global issues
- have increased your confidence and understanding of how to promote informed, active global citizenship.
Trainers leading the Global Teachers Award have been validated and dates for the one-day Level 1 course are now being promoted across England by CoDEC.
What is the commitment?
By signing up to take part, you are committing to attend a six-hour training course (this might be split, depending upon your trainer) and to undertaking a global learning activity with your class, that you then critically reflect upon and submit.
Who should take part?
This course and qualification is ideal for teachers of all phases and who focus on all subjects - nursery, primary, special and secondary schools. It is particularly useful if you are a school international or global coordinator. We also recommend it to teachers who hold responsibility for eco-schools, SMSC, Fairtrade and so on.
How do I sign up?
Book your place on an organised course here.
If you would like us to host training in your school, or would like to find out when a course will be taking place in your area, please contact Yvonne Luce, Global Education Derby (who is coordinating the GTA training on behalf of CoDEC) on 01332 298185 or email her at email@example.com
The course can also be offered as whole school training - click here to register your school's interest.
Is there a Level 2 GTA?
Yes, there is. Keep your eyes open for more information - it will be published on this website as soon as it is available.